What is Bikram Yoga?
Bikram Yoga is a world renowned 26 posture hatha yoga series. All Bikram Yoga classes are practiced in a room heated to 105°F (40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%. Bikram Yoga should be practiced under the guidance of a certified Bikram Yoga Instructors at an affiliated Bikram Yoga Studio.
During every Bikram Yoga class you progressively and systematically work every single muscle in your body.
Turning up the heat for strength, stamina, flexibility and detoxification
At high temperatures, muscles and connective tissue become more elastic, allowing for greater flexibility with less chance of injury. Synovial fluid inside the joints becomes thinner allowing a greater range of movement in joints.
The heat also increases the intensity of the class. Your heart-rate becomes elevated and you get a powerful cardio-vascular workout. Increased circulation means more oxygen and nutrition transported to skin, muscles, glands and organs. Sweating allows you to completely detoxify your system, flushing out waste products and energising the body.
This is truly the ultimate work-out for body and mind. Willpower, self-control and determination are strengthened in this demanding environment and through consistent practice, endurance levels are raised.
“I think I can push myself and perform a lot better with yoga,” Floyd Mayweather Click here to read more
David Beckham, NBA Allstar Kareem Abdul-Jabber and tennis champ Serena Williams, have all acknowledged that Bikram Yoga enhanced their performance. Check out this interview where football legend Andy Carol tells Sky Sports credits Bikram Yoga with his return to football after injury. Click here to read more
Stress Relief and emotional well-being
- The endorphin release you get after a session has to be experienced to be understood. Walk home buzzing with positive energy and feeling on top of the world.
- Yoga balances hormones and emotions. It actually physically changes the electrical activity in your brain.
- Many studies have now shown yoga to be as powerful as ProZak for combating depression and highly effective for treating, panic attacks, anxiety and PTSD.
- Tennis star Andy Murray has used Bikram Yoga to get his temper into control as well increasing his focus and self-belief. He credits his success to his Bikram practice.
- An recent article in the New Scientist Click here to read more
Chronic Health Conditions
- Bikram Yoga can help to control – and in some cases completely eliminate the symptoms of many common medical issues.
- Bikram Yoga has been particularly effective for students affected by: Diabetes, Heart- Disease, High-Blood-Pressure, Cholesterol, Migraines, Allergies, Hypertension and Sciatica.
- Read our own students stories of how yoga has helped them manage conditions like arthritis, asthma, hiatus hernia and chronic pain.
- Some have been able to completely stop strong prescription pain killers.
- Studies have also shown that Bikram Yoga helps prevent osteoporosis, acting as a counter measure for bone density loss in women. Click here to read more
Injury Rehabilitation, Knee and Back Problems
- Bikam Yoga reduces injury and corrects the damage caused by high impact sports. Increasingly doctors and chiropractors recommend Bikram to patients.
- Poor posture often resulting from sitting hunched over desk all day, can cause or aggravate back and neck pain. Our yoga works the spine in every direction with many beneficial back-bends, helping realign, re-balance and restore.
- We’ve seen it work wonders for students with headaches, scoliosis, herniated disks and many other back problems.
- Check out Lindsay’s story of how yoga helped her rehabilitate after a car accident left her with a broken neck and back.
- Bikram is also powerful for healing knee injuries. Our student Debbie has meniscus tears in both knees. Here she is talking about how much the practice helped her knees.
Weight-loss, health and beauty
- During a 90 minute Bikram Yoga session you can burn up to 1000 calories. Click here to read more
- Bikram Yoga has been one of Hollywood’s beauty secrets for years. Celebrities like Jennifer Anniston, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Demi Moore and Gwyneth Parltrow have found that Bikram Yoga helps them stay looking young and beautiful.
- Our student, Aileen lost a stone in weight and 3 inches off her waist 3 weeks after joining Bikram Southside her story in the Eastwood Extra.
- As you sweat, your pores are opened and cleaned allowing natural lanolin to release through the pores, softening and preserving your skin’s elasticity.
- Increased circulation to skins cells helps keep skin looking youthful, clear and vibrant Watch your face develop “the Bikram glow”.
- Check out our blog for more info and tips on keeping your skin looking great.